It’s October 15th. Exactly three months ago, I made a list of some of the goals I wanted to accomplish in the third quarter of 2016. Looking back, I actually accomplished quite a lot. A lot has changed in my life. I moved into an apartment, started at a new school and a new job. However, I did not meet as many writing goals as I would have liked to, so that’s something I’m really going to focus on in the next three months going forward! Here are the goals that I wrote down for myself for last quarter and whether I accomplished them or not:
- Have new draft of my current project finished and begin editing it- No. I unfortunately did not make much progress on this goal
- Go on an hour walk 4 days a week- Yes. I pretty much walk everywhere now.
- Go to the gym at least 3 days a week- No. I got kind of lazy once I started at my new school, but in the last week of September I started going to the gym regularly once again. I’m counting this as a win.
- Put $50 towards travel fund every month- No. Haha, this didn’t happen. Living on your own costs a lot! I don’t have any extra money to do this right now.
- Write posts on this blog 1-2 times a week- No. I’m lucky if I’ve been able to make a post for this blog once a month.
- Begin plotting a new novel- Yes. I have a rough idea for a novel and I’m in the planning phase of this project
- Complete first draft of a short story for a literary magazine- No. Although I’ve been drafting a short story on and off, I have not submitted any stories to literary magazines.
- Join a club at school- Yes. I’ve joined my school’s literary magazine
- Clean out old clothes and donate them to charity- Yes. I did this!
- Research and come up with a list of publishing agencies I would be interested in interning at- Yes. I did indeed do this. I even contacted an editor at a local publishing company and interviewed her. It was for a school project, but I learned quite a bit and it was a great experience.
- Read at least 5 classic books- No. I did not meet this goal, unfortunately. The only classics I’ve read in the past three months include Jane Eyre, Beowulf and Hamlet
So, I completed 6/11 goals. I don’t think I did a bad job for my first time using this system of keeping track of my goals. Next quarter I hope to do even better, though! Here are my goals for the last quarter of 2016. I’m carrying over some of the goals that I did not complete from the previous quarter (with slight alterations) and I’m adding new ones as well.
Quarter 4 Goals:
- Complete the new outline for the rewrite of my current project
- Complete the outline for my new project that I will begin during NaNoWriMo
- Write 30,000 words of my new project during NaNoWriMo
- Post on this blog every Friday
- Finish the draft of my current short story and edit it
- Submit my short story to literary magazines
- Read at least 5 classic books (the ones from the previous quarter do not count)
- Continue going to the gym 3-4 times a week and eating healthy
- Begin volunteering somewhere in town
- Complete at least one freelance job on UpWork (I already have an account all set up)
- Join a professional organization for people in the field of Publishing
- Research and apply to at least 3 internships
- Read a book on editing
- Read a book on the craft of writing
- Take professional pictures for LinkedIn and Blog
I know some of these goals are a little ambitious, but I don’t feel like it’s wrong to aim high. On the other hand, a lot of the goals are very doable and I don’t think I will have a problem completing most of them. I’m going to aim to complete these by January 1st so I can start my quarter on the first of the new year!
What are some of your goals for the last quarter of 2016?